Sunday, June 17, 2007

Kids say the funniest things...

...and are always keeping us on our toes!! I really should be keeping a journal of "Funny Kid Sayings"...I could probably publish a book by the time all the kids move out of the house! So since there have been several funny things lately about skin color I thought I would share the laughter...

...Last week when we were in Anchorage for the kids citizenship we made our usual run through Costco before heading home. As the girls and I were wondering around amongst the clothes tables Kailee saw a black shirt that she thought would fit Ann Marie. But then she said, "Ann Marie, you would look like a burnt hot dog in that black shirt!" Brown on the inside with a black skin on the outside! Ann Marie and I laughed and laughed!! I think we have been having alot of hot dogs over the fire recently!

...This week I took the kids to the park in town just for something fun and different to do. A little girl about Alyssum's age came up to her and asked her if she could speak Chinese! Then a few minutes later she hopped on the tire swing with Adams and asked him, "Do you tan?" Adams just looked at her with an "I don't understand you" look. Then she said, "Oh yeah, my dad told me that God made some people with brown skin!"

...Adams is always telling us he is turning white...his skin gets a sort of white tint to it when it is dry! But then last night right after he said that he is turning white, he turned to Ann Marie and stared her in the face and said, "You are getting black!" I really don't think Adams has much concept of skin color or the fact that we are all different colors, but he hears us talk about it and he has to make his comments too!

Our kids are always calling themselves chocolate, vanilla, or caramel depending on their skin color. Having a family of many different colors and nationalities is so much fun!

No comments: