Friday, May 11, 2007

Days in Davao...


Well after several days of feeling like I would never recover, I think I am finally feeling considerably better. Not completely well, but well enough to be able to get out and enjoy some of Davao before I head home. On Wednesday afternoon I got out with Jenn for a couple hours and we did a little bit of shopping at the SM Shopping Center...when you are in there you don't really feel like you are in the Philippines except for being in the minority as a white person. Maybe that is because I am a small town girl and not used to such large shopping centers or malls, but it is huge and has just about anything you might need. It was fun to wander around and pick up a few things to take home, but that outing completely wore me out and I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening on the couch.

Thursday I woke feeling even better especially after some breakfast and a shower, so we decided to load everyone up in the van and go for a drive, just to get out! Joe and Jenn are needing to learn the streets of Davao so this seemed like a good opportunity...I know, kind of sounds like we got lost...nope we didn't! :) We stopped at Mercy Birthing Center and got a short tour...it will be so nice to know where Jenn will spend alot of her time while here in Davao. Only eight beds in the Center and yet they deliver so many babies...no one gets to hang around and recoup very long! We once again descended upon McDonalds for lunch and then headed to NCCC to look at furniture. They bought bunkbeds for all the kids and a small couch and chair set for their bedroom. It will all be delivered on Friday. That was our day, but it was fun to drive the streets and see the people and their way of life. So many new things to see...

The kids have been begging and begging to go to the beach...we are this close so certainly we should be able to go! So today, Friday, we decided to head out to a beach close by and spend the day getting a nice sunburn! No, we also had lots of fun despite the redness of everyones skin when we returned home. The kids had so much fun playing in the water, in the warm water no less! Such a novelty coming from a bunch of Alaskan kids! The adults also enjoyed the warm water and the sun, of course!

I can't believe I leave Davao tomorrow...seems like my week here has been so short. I will be spending a couple days in Manila with my Uncle Randy and Aunt Marla. Its been a long time since I've been there and I am looking forward to spending a little bit of time with them before I fly home on the 15th.

No comments: